Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Sunday Million Hand Contest #26

Sunday Million Hand Contest #26 5 months 1 week ago #1574

• APAcoach88
  • Thank you received: 17
Hey guys,

You all know the drill, best answer gets entry into the Sunday Million! And as of last month, we are now awarding 2nd place with 10% of the winner's action! (See Ellie's post on main page regarding payout structure)

This is a common situation that I see my students run into often, and am curious how you all would best tackle it! Here's the hand:

Blinds 150/300

Hero: 15k
Villain: 13k

Hero opens to 750 with :a-heart: :k-diamond: , button flats.

Flop is :k-spade: :6-spade: :4-diamond: , hero bets 1000, villain calls.

Turn is :2-club: , hero bets 2500, villain calls.

River is :t-spade:

Hero...? (Pot is roughly 9,000 and villain has about that behind)

Post what you think is the hero's best option on river and best answer gets entry into Sunday Million in 10 days! Good luck, all.

APAcoach
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TheOldNight

Sunday Million Hand Contest #26 5 months 6 days ago #1575

• DrakeM
  • Gold Fish
  • Thank you received: 1
Unfortunately, again there is no information about Hero's position on the table when he opens. Would be interesting to know if he opens from CO or maybe even UTG because a 2,5BB raise from UTG has another weight than from CO when everyone else folded before. I criticised this lack of information several times in other Hand Contests and I will continue to do so because its dam important to know in order to properly read Villains reaction.

Nevertheless, Hero opens with :a-heart::k-diamond: and Villain flats on the button. Would be interesting to know if Villain is rather aggressive/passive, good/bad etc. but lets assume its early in the game and we dont really know yet.

I guess Villain wouldnt flat call if he had a top pair. With hands like AA or KK, a raise would be more appropriate. A call in this situation smells like a small pair in his hands.

With :a-heart::k-diamond: and this flop, Hero goes with a probe bet (1000 in a pot of about 2000) to check if Villain made the set. Sounds like a good idea, especially early on in the game. But Villain calls, thats pretty bad for us.

Bet of 2500 on the turn doesnt make any sense to me unless Hero is pretty sure that Villain is bluffing.

The river situation is one Hero shouldnt be in, the mistake was made before on the turn. But with yet about 10k of chips and blinds of 150/300, he can easily recover from that. River is absolutely check/fold since Villain got 66 or 44.
Last Edit: 5 months 6 days ago by DrakeM.

Sunday Million Hand Contest #26 5 months 6 days ago #1576

• APAcoach88
  • Thank you received: 17
Drake,

You're right, I'll be more conscious of positions in future as they are of paramount importance in the game, however in this particular hand, positions don't come into play with the particular conceptual topic I'm hoping to bring about. But for argument's sake, let's say hero is opening in low-jack. Also, if there is no information given (i.e "villain is tight" "villain is aggro/fish") then we should assume he is a regular/random with no information, as these spots are vital in range construction mid-game.

Good luck,

APAcoach

Sunday Million Hand Contest #26 5 months 2 days ago #1577

• TheOldNight
  • Gold Fish
  • Thank you received: 2
Hello there!,

The first thing that crosses my mind in this hand is the flush draw, and I suppose that's the most realistic threat in this hand throughout. On the river hero is left in a rough spot with little information, and I think that's partially that's due to too passive bets that's been made before the river. In this whole situation I feel hero gave him too good EV calls to gamble for that flush draw. The way I see it, if we wanted to give the Villain a chance to gamble for that flush on the river, we should've at least made him call a terrible EV call on his part. The 2500 bet to 3950 bank have put him on the spot to gamble 2500 to 6450 bank which is about 39% call with odds of 34% of hitting, that's not necessarily the worst gamble to take. Now look what if a hero instead of giving him 39% call,have put him on a 60% call? a) Villain has to be crazy to take that flush draw gamble, even if he does and wins we still had a phenomenal EV ,if that's not a winning strategy long term, I don't know what is. b) He fold's, we win c)He has something else, we're still in a decent spot to bluff him out. I mean look lets say he had K/4 on the flop, would he call my all in on the river? He's in a very though stop to make any all in calls without having a flush, and as I said even if he has it, he had to make a terrible calls to get this far with it. To be fair this is an expensive way to play this hand, but I feel it's still better than just to give him decent EV to make those calls.

Speaking about specific OP ending, I would suggest a hero to check/fold, still a decent stack to continue the tournament.

Thank you.
Good luck everybody!
Last Edit: 5 months 2 days ago by TheOldNight. Reason: Added Op ending answer.

Sunday Million Hand Contest #26 4 months 2 weeks ago #1578

The button player has position so on the river card I would bet 50 percent of the pot cause I know the player in position is going to make a bet regardless if you check so risking 50 % would be my opinion in this case

Sunday Million Hand Contest #26 4 months 1 week ago #1579

Bet 1/3rd pot on the flop. bet 1/3rd turn and riv, fold to shove. As played - Jam riv, worse calls and his button flatting range is wide enough for us to not worry about making a 2 street hand into a 3 street hand.

1. small bet/bet/b/f line
2. As played check river, call off shove esp since our range is capped or if we had used better sizing on each street we could easily b/f to shove. it would be horrible to bet/bet x/f.
3. Since it is a 2 street hand, if we had deeper stacks I'd bet big both on Flop and Turn or Flop bet /x turn/ Bet river but both bets should be big-ish.

A common mistake I see is people not betting more otf and the second street they choose to bet on because of strange reasons like :k-spade: :6-spade: :4-diamond: is too dry a board. Nah 88-QQ still calling. 55 calling. all FDs calling and don't think bet sizing wll make Villain fold 99 so might as well bet big.

The correct answer is - there are many ways to play this hand but one obvious wrong way, which is to double barrel and shut down. I'd rather up my cbet percentage knowing we double barrel less and c-bet/fold more and also tripple barrel more. Generally speaking.

If it was me as played I x/c shove or put him in. Both are profitable yet one line just has our range capped so gotta call any bet by villain if we use x/c line. Our range is soooooo capped!
  • Page: