Asia Poker Academy is your poker home in Asia
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Sunday Million Hand Contest #18

Sunday Million Hand Contest #18 1 year 7 months ago #1435

• APAcoach88
  • Thank you received: 17
Hey guys, you all know the drill, best answer gets entry into the Sunday Million on Pokerstars! The following hand is a simple (but complex) ranging spot. It took place during a $1million guarantee $1,100 World Poker Tour Deepstacks Main event. This is a hand I witnessed, and went through the same process you all will now, trying to figure out A) what the shover's range was, and most importantly B) what our calling range would be.

Background:

Blinds 500/1000, ante 200

Hero: 120k
Villain: 40k

Only reads on villain is he is a older/middle-aged white male, roughly around 55. He is wearing a Donald Trump hat (I am sure many of you know who that is!) and has a handle-bar mustache (google it), and is noticeably an amateur. He is sitting UTG+1 and the hero is a young professional in the BB.

Here is where the real meat of the hand takes place. Where I typically have you guys analyzing spots based more on math and postflop spots, this is simply a "read-based range spot". The correct answer will be the one who can best assess the original shover's range, as well as the correct calling range for the Hero. Often times all we have to work with in poker is the perceived range of our opponent's and the few clues given to us.

UTG folds and now our older villain decides to open shove all-in for 40,000 (40bbs) after 1 second of thought. Action folds to the BB who immediately stands up and says "wow, I don't think I can fold". This immediately got me thinking..."what on EARTH would I need to call this shove?"

So the question is poised to you all, what should the BB's calling range be? Hint: focus first on the shover's range to figure out what you should be calling with. Also, any other aspects of the hand that might lead you to that range. Lastly, if we had 60bbs or less instead of 120+, does your answer change?

Good luck!

APAcoach
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: win4toast

Sunday Million Hand Contest #18 1 year 7 months ago #1436

• best
  • Fish
hmmm let see with 40bb usually this "old" player they shove all in with middle pair 77 or 66 they don't want to see a flop like Q 9 A they want to get the blinds and that its... and the bb must to have jj or 10 10 that why he say 'I don't thing I can fold' if he have aq aj he fold

Sunday Million Hand Contest #18 1 year 7 months ago #1437

• god_benjj
  • Fish
  • Thank you received: 1
I think the older player with 40bb raise has a small pocket . And i think the hero has like AK , AQ or a pocket like 1010 JJ QQ .The older guy decided to raise all in because he doesn't like to see overcards that make him the decision to fold . The hero is thinking what is the villian has and what hands he played earlier because he is a amateur. When you have AK , AA , KK OR QQ you would make a instant call because its 1/3 of your stack and you have a good hand . I think the hero must mave like 1010 of JJ or AQ , AJ , A10 suited . Because there are a lot over overcard the villian can have . I think he would fold if he has AQ or AJ because 40 BB is out of range . It is possible if you really think it through with JJ or 1010
Last Edit: 1 year 7 months ago by god_benjj. Reason: Re thinked it
The following user(s) said Thank You: win4toast

Sunday Million Hand Contest #18 1 year 7 months ago #1438

I would consider folding JJ and AK. Even QQ is skeptical. I think BB is holding QQ or AKs.I probably muck AKo without the speech. Villain isn't short enough to be spazzing with low pairs, plus he's old so probably not bluffing.

Sunday Million Hand Contest #18 1 year 7 months ago #1439

I think the hero must have AK , AQ , QQ , JJ , because the villian is all in which is 40k , 1/3 of your stack so it is alot . So you would fold like a lower pocket or AJ , AQ etc. The hand AK hero would probably call because its one of the best hand . So i think the hero folds with probably AQ or JJ . It wouldn't make a different depends on stack size . Only if your got a big chip lead

Sunday Million Hand Contest #18 1 year 7 months ago #1440

• jimm1254
  • Fish
I consider the following:

First: the hand of the old villain should be AA, KK, QQ, AK, AQ or AJ, since it is difficult to risk his entire stack without a strong hand because it would mean their elimination,
second: if BB stop to think about it is that its serious range A (K, J, Q, 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2) or K (Q, J, 10) or pair lower to 9.
third, if we have less than 60bbs the most likely fold without a strong hand