Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Sunday Million Hand Contest #16

Sunday Million Hand Contest #16 2 years 4 months ago #1370

• APAcoach88
  • Thank you received: 17
Hey everyone!

Hope you all have had some good luck at the tables this summer. The following hand took place during a $1,500 buy-in No Limit Hold em event at the World Series of Poker (WSOP).

Hero (7,500 stack)
Villain (7,000)

Hero opens to 375 UTG with :a-heart: :a-club: , villain flats button.

Flop :3-diamond: :4-diamond: :6-spade: .

Hero leads for 600, villain raises to 1,500. What is hero's play and plan?

Good luck
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Sunday Million Hand Contest #16 2 years 4 months ago #1375

• semi_god
  • Gold Fish
I think blind were 150/300 right? Its a pitty we don't have information on the villian, because depending on that I might end all in right on the flop or fold it right now. So we are playing a 1500 buyin event so I will suppose villian knows what he is doing.
So first, the pot on the flop is: (375*2)+ 450(from blinds)=1200, making the spr 5,50

Flop: 3d 4d 6s
the flop is dry given villian's calling range to a utg open raise.
Hero bets half the pot and villian reraises to 1500, and he has 5125 left behind, so its here on the flop that we have to make the decition to end all in right now or fold our hand. I don't like calling here because villian will surely bet the turn again and we will be in the same situiation as we are now on the flop. so the big question is: What does villian call preflop with and reraises out cbet on the flop?

I think he is reraising obviously with sets, 55 maybe or flush draws maybe. He could have lots of flush draws since we don't have the Ad blocker. So as I don't know if villian is capable to reraise the flop with a proyect instead of calling (he has to call a half pot bet with an spr of 5,5, which looks very decent to call with a proyect, plus he lets our bluffs in our range, like AK and AQ) I would fold this hand since it looks more like a set and he reraise because there are lots of cards that are uncomfortable from him that could come on the turn, like a 5, a 2 a 6 or a diamond. As it looks like he has a set and we don't have any informaiton about him I would fold, since we didn't invest too much on the pot.

Sunday Million Hand Contest #16 2 years 4 months ago #1376

fold, thinking villain hit a set, he could have an over pair, or nut flush draw

Sunday Million Hand Contest #16 2 years 4 months ago #1384

• DrakeM
  • Gold Fish
  • Thank you received: 1
Hero opens to 375 UTG with pocket aces and Villain flats button with no information about Villain whatsoever, interesting

What is Villains hand range? With no information, I would defintely expect Villain to reraise with high pairs KK+, maybe AK or QQ but with our pocket Aces we beat them all except AA which would most likely be a split pot with a diamond flush draw for Villain. Unfortunately for us, he didnt reraise, so I guess its no high pair/AK

So lets see, what would I expect Villain to flat button with? Well, with no information at all, it could be pretty much any hand except maybe trash hands, so I dont think there is any point in thinking about hand ranges at this point

Now there is the flop and the reraise to 1500. According to stack and pot sizes I assume its early/midgame. Furthermore, in a game with 1500 buyin I believe Villain got his experience and is no complete maniac (unfortunately for us)

We opened UTG and lead for 600, so Villain got a wide handrange to consider. At this point of the game, big bluffs with nothing against a hand that must be considered big makes no sense to me. Villain knows we got a hand or at least 2 overcards, but he still raises to 1500, which means he got a hand or at least a strong draw

As written before, I dont think Villain called preflop with trash hands, so he doesnt have two pair. Villain might have a flush draw with 2 diamonds, but raising this big with a diamond still to come, I doubt it. If I was Villain at this point, I wouldnt raise, I would just call because the chance to complete the flush is only ~35%

So the only cards that beat us at the moment are pocket pairs and a made set. With no further information about the Villain, I think i would risk an All-In here

Sunday Million Hand Contest #16 2 years 3 months ago #1386

• APAcoach88
  • Thank you received: 17
Hey guys!

This week's winner is "DrakeM"! While this spot is very difficult for multiple reasons, Drake was able to key in on some of the most important subjects, mainly the fact that while we aren't happy about shoving, it seems the BEST of many bad options.

The villain only has us beat with sets (33,44,66) and often times, many people tend to FLAT in this spot to trap with a set, instead of raising, therefore weighting his bet towards some bluffs, mostly flush draws/and a few sets (not to mention possibly 99-JJ). We don't love getting in against a range that's so heavy with flush draws that are close to 40%+ against us, but it seems the only reasonable option, as calling has little to no merits, like semi_god mentioned in his post, there are a lot of very bad cards on the turn for us, leaving us with little to no options there if we just flat call. Our last option would be folding (but I don't think that's an option at this point either, oddly I considered it with a significant edge in a $1500 WSOP event early in Day 1)

Good answer again this week by semi_God (and also nice run in the Million 2 weeks ago!), but this week's winner will be DrakeM. I indeed followed Drake's advice and moved allin on the flop with the AA and lost to 66 :) But we cannot be hindsight oriented in poker.

Best of luck in the Million next week, Drake. Please post your Stars info on this page so Ellie can transfer you the $215 to play.

Gl gl all,

APAcoach88
Last Edit: 2 years 3 months ago by APAcoach88.

Sunday Million Hand Contest #16 2 years 3 months ago #1387

• DrakeM
  • Gold Fish
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks APA for this great opportunity. My Pokerstars username is DrakeM. I'll do the best I can, keep your fingers crossed :)
  • Page: